Thursday 6th December 2018
The Dumfries & Galloway Youth Awards recognises the incredible achievements and stories of young people in Dumfries & Galloway through 8 categories founded on the Year of Young People’s key themes. The awards provide a regional platform to celebrate young people’s achievements, share their experiences and showcase their amazing talents and contribution to the local community.
CLOSING DATE FOR NOMINATIONS – MONDAY 22ND OCTOBER 2018
Health & Wellbeing
The Health & Wellbeing Award will recognise a young person that:
- is leading or supporting work in Dumfries and Galloway aimed at improving young people’s physical and mental health. This could be through championing for improved services for young people, influencing policy or creating new opportunities for young people to lead healthy and active lives
- Is helping to increase the access and opportunities for young people in Dumfries and Galloway to participate in sport and physical activity. This award will recognise the impact volunteers, young leaders and coaches have on the improving the physical health and wellbeing of others.
- has excelled in their sport at a local, regional or national level.
The Participation Award will recognise a young person who has improved the quality of life for individuals within a place or community of interest by:
- influencing decision making locally or nationally. This could be through participation in committees, forums, local and national campaigns, community action or reflecting the views and opinions of young people with decision makers
- promoting young people’s rights and responsibilities
- giving their time to help other people and communities through volunteering in Dumfries and Galloway. This encompasses a wide range of volunteer roles that support youth groups, organisations and charities including peer education, coaching, mentoring and helping with the day to day delivery of their work.
Equality & Discrimination
The Equality and Diversity Award will recognise a young person who:
- Actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion for all young people in Dumfries and Galloway. This could be through education, campaigning, advocating, engagement with local decision makers and contributing to local forums and organisations
- Believes that every young person should be able to achieve their potential, free from prejudice and discrimination and works hard to ensure they are getting the chance to do so by creating new opportunities and experiences for young people across all races, faiths, genders, cultures, communities and identities
The Culture Award will recognise a young person who:
- Has an exceptional ability in any form of the arts and entertainment sector. This could be a young musician, writer, actor, dancer, performer or artist who demonstrates raw talent and is a rising star emerging from Dumfries and Galloway
- creates or promotes opportunities for young people to participate in the arts industry enabling them to become more confident, skilled and creative
Enterprise & Regeneration
The Enterprise and Regeneration Award will recognise a young person who:
- makes a positive difference in the region through their active involvement in tackling green and environmental issues. This could be related to recycling, upcycling, sustainability and the natural environment.
- has overcome barriers in order to achieve success in creating a sustainable business or social enterprise.
The Education Award is for a young person who has:
- Overcome personal challenges in their life in order to excel in their education or learning journey. This could be through school, college, university, training and wider achievement. This award will recognise the young person’s dedication to their own learning and the hard work and success that has enabled them to achieve their goals.
- Developed dynamic and creative ways of delivering education in our region. This could be through teaching, peer education, mentoring or influencing change in the way our young people access learning opportunities
The Unsung Hero award will go to a young person who devotes their free time to help people in the community, through volunteering for local organisations, campaigning for change or lending a helping hand to those In need. Smiling, encouraging, mentoring and lifting spirits – this person is dedicated to helping others in the community.
Youth Worker/Leader of the Year
NO AGE LIMIT
The Youth Worker of the Year award is about recognising exceptional youth workers, coaches and community volunteers who dedicate their time to making a difference in the lives of young people. For the individual whose contribution to young people is outstanding. This award is for a person who’s excelled at building positive relationships with young people, helping them to see their potential and fulfill it. They are hard-working, patient and caring and a great example to young people.
D&G Young Person of the Year
A live vote will be held on the evening of the awards ceremony to determine the winner of his award. All guests will have the opportunity to cast their vote for the Young Person of the Year, choosing from each of the above category winners.